Friday, December 01, 2006

Chili Day!

Patty, our Secret Pal 9 hostess, has come up with yet another contest to keep this round of secret pal fun. This time she wants to know about a favorite recipe. My favorite recipes change with the season and my mood. So looking out my window at my children playing in the snow and thinking about the first snow of the year, I had cravings for a Chili Dinner and an evening bundled up by the fireplace with my kids and some hot cocoa! Chili is traditionally the meal I make every year on the first snow fall of the year. So I gathered my ingredients! (Which unfortunately required me to brave the weather but on the bright side I was one of probably four crazy women stupid enough to think grocery shopping might be a good idea.)


My chili uses Morning Star Recipe Crumbles since we don't eat red meat. I have also done it with Ground Turkey but love the ease of the Veggie Crumbles since I don't have to brown the meat. However if you are more of a carnivore than we are you can certainly use ground turkey or even (gasp) ground beef. I also double the recipe so we can eat enjoy left overs for lunch or the next day at dinner.

So are you ready for the recipe?

1 package of Morning Star Recipe Crumbles (or browned gound beef or turkey)
14 oz can of diced tomatoes
14 oz can of tomato sauce
14 oz can of red kidney beans
diced onion
diced green peppers
1-2 cloves of garlic
1-2 Tbs of Chili Powder
2 tsp of Cumin
1 tsp of Oregano
Oyster crackers and Cheddar Cheese

Throw it all (except the crackers and cheese) into the crockpot and slowcook all day. Serve in soup bowls topped with crackers, cheese and any of your other favorite chili toppings. Enjoy!

This would feed my family of 5 without any left overs (which is why I double the recipe.)

My house smells amazing right now. I can't wait to eat!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, chili and hot cocoa by the fire -- sounds wonderful!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry and you're officially entered into the contest!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home