Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Socktoberfest Progress

Socktoberfest is half way through and I am about half way through on my project. I am using Queen Kahuna's Crazy Heels and Toes to modify the Jaywalker pattern. I am about an inch past the heels, so I am definately in the home stretch. Now just to find the time to finish this and my countless other projects.


Does the yarn look familar. Yep it was frogged from the Size 0 Trekking Socks I started back in January! Now I have to say I had gotten some more progress on them. I had turned the heel and was picking up stitches when my then 2 yo decided he wanted to 'knit.' It took my forever just to untangle the mess he made. The socks were, needless to say, history!



While I am on the topic of Socktoberfest, Lolly had posted a series of Socktoberfest related questions way back in the beginning of the month. So I figured I might as well answer them...

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

Probably just a couple months after starting to knit. I learned to knit almost 2 years ago in the spring and that summer I made my first pair of socks for my son. Like most things I taught myself.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

They have held up great. I didn't have too many problems. The socks were a little big on him but when you are knitting for a growing 6 yo that isn't always a terrible thing. He still wears them every chance he gets. (Although I can't stand the yarn...he choose it so he is happy.)

What would you have done differently?

I can't think of anything. I think it was a great experience. I started with a sport/dk weight yarn so it made the stitches easy to see and work with. And it was great too that I was knitting for little feet. It was easier to finish and feel like I had accomplished something.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

I LOVE soft yarns to work with. So far my favorite has been the alpaca socks. The pattern wasn't exciting but I absolutely love the feel of the alpaca. And the technique is now my favorite. These have been my best fitting socks to date.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I don't think I would like crocheted socks, although my mom has made some and she loves them....My kids are all getting crocheted socks from her for Christmas so I can decide then. As I have said I love The Crazy Heels and Toes Technique which is done with two socks on two circulars. I tried the Magic Loop method and didn't care for it. DPN's are fine but I really prefer the circular needles.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

Short row heel Queen Kahuna Style.

How many pairs have you made?

I may have lost count but I think I am at about 10 pairs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are looking great! I've never knit socks on two circs, but I may have to try that. I'm with ya on the magic loop -- I just tried that for Alden's hat and wasn't impressed. I don't mind dpns, but it would be nice to have another method too.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Becka said...

I love those socks! I've thought about getting Queen's book, too! I started knitting socks shortly after I learned to knit 2 years ago, too!!

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home