Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Making Music

Or at this point...NOISE! But take a peak at what my "new" hand-me-down.

Hubby's cousin decided she wanted it out of her house! She told us the piano was almost 100 years old but as I was looking inside for dates and such, the oldest date I can find is a dated signature from the mid 1940's....So I am not sure if that is the signature of the artisan or of a tuner. So it is at least 60 years old...but maybe more. We still need to have it tuned which we won't be able to do until October but that unfortunately hasn't stopped the kids from "making music." It does need a little work. The finish needs a little attention and it is missing the knobs to close up the keyboard. Then bench was also missing, the one in the picture a free organ bench that needs cutting down to size and refinishing but it should work out.

I told you I have been knitting. This is a little cardigan I started for my nephew to be that we are expecting in November. The pattern and yarn are from Tess Yarns. The pattern is adorable and I love working with the yarn. It is so soft and being superwash wool sock yarn, it's washable! Which is a must for me with any baby knit. Babies are too messy for hand-wash only in my humble opinion....As far as that goes...kids up until the age of adolescents are too messy for hand-wash only!

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

What a great piano!!! That sure is one special hand-me-down. I agree on the handwash thing - and I'd like to add that even some ADULTS are too messy for handwash. LOL

7:25 AM  
Blogger Alyson said...

That is a beautiful piece! I can't part with my little upright, even though I've had it for ages and hardly ever touch it. I just love having it in the house, so if someone drops in and feels like playing us a tune....

I'm so glad Ophelia is doing better (if not a little cranky about the collar - but hey, at least it wasn't for terribly long!)

9:32 AM  
Blogger essjay said...

Congratulations on the piano! We always had a piano growing up and it was wonderful. The baby cardigan looks wonderful so far.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Becka said...

Gorgeous piano!!! I really, really love it!
That cardi is too cute, I'm about to have a look at the site where you got it!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the piano...so lucky!!

Ouissi x

6:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We had an old piano when I was growing up. My mom took it all apart and stripped the finish off it to discover that it was a beautiful cherry wood. It was well worth the effort. Your kids will love it.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home