Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Knit From Your Stash

I am not sure I am strong enough BUT I have decided to go on a serious yarn diet! I have seen a number of bloggers make the commitment to "Knit from their Stash" and while my stash may not equal the stashes of many other knitters, the start of a new year is a great time to make a point to use up some of the yarn that I have. Currently my yarn stash fills a cedar chest we use as a coffee table in the family room. Truth is that I couldn't fit anymore yarn in this chest no matter how hard I try!




So here are the rules according to Wendy.

1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months.

2. We will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:

2.a. Sock yarn does not count. What? You think we are made of stone?

2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that we really and truly do not have the yarn for, we may buy yarn to knit that gift.

2.c. If we are knitting something and run out of yarn, we may purchase enough to complete the project.

2.d. We each get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- we are each allowed to fall off the wagon one time.

3. We are allowed to receive gifts of yarn.

4. Spinning fiber of any sort is exempt.

So I am now wondering if I should run FAST to my LYS and BUY, BUY, BUY before Monday! (I guess that would defeat the purpose...)

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Wow!! Good luck to you! You can do it!!!! I probably have enough yarn to do it - but certainly not enough willpower to do it. (I thought about it briefly, until I saw that it goes for 9 months. Yikes!!)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

I should really, really, join you - but I really, really, don't think I can do it! Good luck to you - I'll follow your progress!
Jane

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nine months without buying yarn???

Just the thought is making me break out in a rash, but then I don't have much of a stash to fall back on.

May the force be with you! ;-)

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's 1/1/07 and I'm wondering if you did run out and buy some? Being a new knitter, I don't have that much yarn, but just yesterday I discovered I could put old yarn on the inside of the pear pincushions I've been felting and just wrap a couple of layers of wool on the outside to cover up whatever color is underneathe. That discovery made me really happy. Good luck to you in reducing your stash - 9 months is a long time.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Well - I knew I couldn't do it. My LYS was having a 20% off sale ....and - well you know how it is!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

ahhhh, the infamous yarn diet! I have been doing well on mine since last may! only cheated twice! but i am in for the knit the stash! we can do it!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home